3000 Reasons Why to consider a Refurb with BikeStow
“We were looking to bring CNC routing in-house as it was the major process required to make our bike racks. We searched new, used, and refurbished CNC routers to try and find the machine and support which best suited us.
We decided to purchase a refurbished MultiCam 3000 Series from CNC World an even though this was an old machine, it was clear these machines are pretty bulletproof and with the correct maintenance, able to last a long time. The fact it was a refurb meant the price was in our budget at the time, and the machine very quickly paid for itself once installed!”
BikeStow is a family business inspired by the love of cycling
The Laights’ passion for cycling – shared by father Simon and sons George, Oscar and Billy and supported by mum Julie – has created an intriguing manufacturing business in Birmingham.
Initially their bike racks were meant only as a solution to their family problem of having too many bikes and not having a safe, easy, and reliable way of transporting or storing them.
Following encouragement from friends, they ‘got in the saddle’ and booked a stand at the 2018 Cycle Show to see if their prototype could go somewhere. In the six weeks between booking the stand and the show itself, they needed to turn a DIY garage project into an actual product. This is when the family team truly formed. The prototype was successful and the design was refined and patented.
The production of the bike stand was originally outsourced to a local manufacturing company. But it soon became apparent the supply could not keep up with the demand, so in 2020 the family business acquired a production unit to take the cottage industry to a manufacturing business. At this point BikeStow, as it was now known, decided to invest in their own manufacturing equipment which included a Multicam 3000 Series CNC Machine purchased from CNC World. The family business now manufactures its racks in-house, giving them complete control over quality and character.
The MultiCam CNC machine has enabled the manufacturing process to keep up with demand and has played a key role with the development of further products within the BikeStow range which now includes:
- The BikeStow Original
- The BikeStow Up
- The BikeStow Stance
The BikeStow Original
Transport bikes inside your van, or store them at home
Quick and Easy – Drop, lock, and go
Folds Flat for convenient storage
Fits varying disciplines, wheel diameters, and tyre widths.
No scratches, dents, or damage to your precious frame.
Two, three, or four bikes safe and secure.
Beautifully display your prized bike.
Skinny road bikes or 5″ fat bikes, horizontally or vertically.
No screws, damage, or permanent commitment.
Road, MTB, electric, and fat bikes up to 5″ tyres.
Roll and rotate – no heavy lifting involved.
Dramatic, low-profile, and infinitely adjustable bike stand to perfectly fit your exact bike, as tight or loose as you wish
Skinny road, heavy electric, and chunky fat bikes
Fits 20″-29″ wheels up to 4.8″ wide.
Kids, BMX, Road, MTB, Electric, and Fat bikes.
Strong grip and no frame contact.
Even the packaging has been developed from a prototype produced on the MultiCam and is now a feature of the flat pack product that can be bought from their online shop.
Most importantly, the family enjoy the same love for design, manufacturing, and cycling as they did when they started on their adventure in 2018.
Here is what George, Director, Manufacturing & Design had to say about his experience of purchasing a MultiCam from CNC World:
1. What Market sector does your company operate in?
2. What does you company produce?
Plywood bicycle racks for the enthusiast cyclist’s van, home, and office.
3. What equipment did you require and how did you find out about the equipment to meet your requirements?
We were looking to bring CNC routing in-house as it was the major process required to make our bike racks. We searched new, used, and refurbished CNC routers to try and find the machine and support which best suited us.
4. What specific features or capabilities of our Multicam CNC machine attracted you and influenced your purchasing decision?
– It was the right price point for a new business looking to get into CNC routing.
– We trusted the support and training given would help us get the machine running and cutting parts, having known nothing previously!
– The on-going support to fix any issues, bugs, or breakdowns was again important for a new business starting out in manufacturing.
5. Were there any specific projects or applications that you had in mind when deciding to purchase our Multicam CNC machine? If so, how do you anticipate the machine meeting your requirements?
We knew exactly the production parts and items we needed to make, and gave files to CNC World who were able to run demo-programs to show how are parts could be made and in what time. This was incredibly useful in figuring out how our overall production setup might look.
6. How did our Multicam CNC machine compare to other options you considered in terms of quality, price, and overall value for your business?
Given this was an old machine that had then been refurbed, it was clear these machines are pretty bulletproof and with the correct maintenance, able to last a long time. The fact it was a refurb meant the price was in our budget at the time, and the machine very quickly paid for itself once installed!
7. Did you receive any recommendations or feedback from others in your industry that influenced your decision to purchase our Multicam CNC machine?
There was some online feedback, support, and videos regarding the Multicam machines, and this gave more confidence than going with any alternative with no online community.
8. What materials do you use in your manufacturing?
Primarily 15mm birch plywood laminated to both faces.
9. Is time of production an important consideration to your business?
Time is a consideration, but reliability and repeatability is more so. Being able to have a reliable process so the machine can just cut parts right with minimal interaction was important.
10. What was your deciding factor to go ahead with the purchase of the MultiCam?
The price was right, it was available immediately, the support and training seemed good, it worked with the software we wanted.
11. How easy is the machine to use?
Relatively easy! Once you memorise what the symbols mean, there isn’t much that can go wrong.
12. Does the machine meet your expectations?
Yes, the machine has been pretty bulletproof and an absolute work horse for us.
13. How have you found the customer journey with CNC World to be from initial enquiry to delivery?
CNC World were open and easy to communicate with. They hosted two visits for us to view and demo potential machines and helped guide us towards the right decision. They didn’t force or push us into something we didn’t need.
14. How have you found the after sales support to be from CNC World?
John (Lead Engineer) has been incredibly quick and knowledgeable when solving any problems or issues. 99% of the time he knows exactly what’s wrong and how to fix it, and in a lot of cases remotely over the phone. The training he gave was informative and helped by his wittiness. He is an invaluable part of CNC World!
15. What has the purchase of the machine done for your business?
All products are now proudly made in-house, which massively reduced costs, improved quality, and allowed us to easily grow into the business we are today.
Are you a cycling enthusiast? Are looking for a safe way to transport bikes inside your van, or store them at home? If you would like to purchase a product that is lovingly family made in the UK, then give BikeStow a call today on 01384 893232 or visit their website: bikestow.com